[pvrusb2] Re%3A%20%5Bpvrusb2%5D%20No%20data%20from%20HVR-1900%20encoder&In-Reply-To=%3C1308471515.2019.6.camel%40tyst%3E

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sat Jul 13 02:22:35 CDT 2013

On 07/12/2013 10:24 PM, Jan Brouwer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a Hauppauge HVR-1900 tuner(for a couple of years already) and it
> keeps crashing once in a while(every other week or so).
> I have been trying to figure out what goes wrong for a long time, and it
> seems I have finally found someone who had exactly the same problem. :-)
>
> I hope it's OK to reply to two year old posts...
> http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2011-June/003074.html
> *
> *
> So my question is basically to: Magnus Ekhall
> Did you ever fix this issue? Was it really a heating issue?
>
> My unit does get pretty hot... I didn't think of cooling it before, so
> maybe that would do the trick!

I also have this problem. It seems to vary (a lot) with kernel versions
and in my case does not appear to be temperature-related. I believe it
is to do with some sort of USB bus lockup, because when it occurs I also
have issues with other USB devices.

What fixes it for me is not only a reboot of the server: a power cycle
of the tuners is also required. So I got myself a software-controllable
switching power socket so that I can switch power to the tuners off
before rebooting and on again afterwards.

But this problem has now become very rare for me. I can't remember when
I last had to reboot due to this issue but it's many months ago.