[pvrusb2] Problems with IR receiver (latest hardware version, latest driver, 2.6.20 kernel)

David Gatwood dgatwood at mac.com
Sat May 5 16:53:31 CDT 2007

 On Friday, May 04, 2007, < rja at firkraag.rogera.net > wrote:

>If you mean the WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE-Kit, then here are a couple of posts about
>how to setup the USB SMK eHome beanbag IR transceiver with the
>lirc_mceusb2 driver.
>
>http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2006-February/000505.html
>
>and about using the transceiver as an IR Blaster to transmit IR signals:
>
>http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2006-December/001198.html

No, I don't mean the MCE kit.  Sorry for the confusion .  The current
version of the PVR-USB2 (models shipped after about February
of this year or so) has an 1/8" mini jack for an external IR blaster.
The mceusb driver doesn't match against anything when I load it.

I'm not sure what I changed, but with the very latest (20070428a) driver
and the latest build of lirc (0.8.2pre2, which provides the latest lirc_i2c
driver version) receive is working, provided that I set the thing to point
to /dev/lirc1 (the real hardware, as opposed to the faked one that the
pvrusb2 driver creates).  Transmit, however, is still dead.

Lirc is showing two i2c busses:

[   55.718165] lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
[   55.722290] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
[   55.727542] lirc_i2c: probe 0x71 @ pvrusb2_a: yes
[   55.728791] lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x71 (Hauppauge IR (PVR150))
[   55.733428] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
[   55.738656] lirc_i2c: probe 0x4b @ pvrusb2_a: no
[   55.739275] lirc_i2c: probe 0x64 @ pvrusb2_a: no
[   55.739776] lirc_i2c: probe 0x30 @ pvrusb2_a: no
[   55.740398] lirc_i2c: probe 0x6b @ pvrusb2_a: no

It looks like the first one is the faked one from the driver and the second
one is a real chip on an i2c bus.  If I use the "ir_mode=0" flag to disable
the fake IR bus, I only see the second one.  So it looks like I need to
dig for info about the PVR150 IR transmitter to make this one work.
Any ideas?

David